William Hurlock is the managing partner at Mueller Law. He practices primarily in the area of litigation focusing on False Claims Act, mass tort, product liability and commercial litigation. He has a wide range of experience in all aspects of litigation, arbitration, mediation and appeals. Bill has been featured in the American Lawyer Magazine and the Corporate Crime Reporter. Bill served as the lead attorney in several healthcare False Claims Act cases. In addition, he successfully sought and obtained the release of wrongly incarcerated inmates in pro bono matters before the New Jersey Department of Corrections.
Bill represented clients in class action and national mass tort multi-district cases. Before moving to New Jersey, Bill was a federal prosecutor serving as an Associate Independent Counsel for the Office of Independent Counsel David M. Barrett investigating allegations concerning the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development in Washington, D.C.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Bill served on the staff of two additional Offices of Independent Counsel – James C. McKay investigating allegations concerning the Attorney General of the United States and Donald C. Smaltz investigating allegations concerning the Secretary of Agriculture. He also worked for a United States Congressman and a Member of Parliament in the British House of Commons.
From 2002 to 2013, Bill served as an adjunct professor teaching Healthcare Law, Legal Research and Writing and writing-related courses at Seton Hall Law School. He also served as an officer and barrister in the Arthur T. Vanderbilt American Inn of Court.
In May 2012, the citizens of Montclair, New Jersey elected Bill to serve as the First Ward Councilor on the town council. In May 2016, he was reelected as the only First Ward Councilor to run unopposed in Montclair’s history. He is also a member of several local and community boards. Bill published numerous articles and served on several panels relating to healthcare law issues.
Oral Argument from the US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, FCA case:
University of London, dean’s list
American University, B.S., dean’s list
American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., cum laude
Senior Articles Editor American University International Law Review
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
United States District Court, District of New Jersey
United States District Court, District of Columbia
United States District Court, Southern District of New York
United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
United States District Court, Western District of New York
United States District Court, District of Connecticut
United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
New Jersey State Bar Association
New York State Bar Association
Seton Hall Law School, Adjunct Professor
Federal Enforcement Homeland Security Foundation Committee Member 2004 – 2010
Member Board of Directors Montclair YMCA 2013 – 2016
Member Board of Directors National Youth Recovery Foundation 2016 – Present
Member Editorial Board Sobol & Co. Fraud and Forensic Group 2012 – Present
Vice President and Barrister, Arthur T. Vanderbilt American Inn of Court 2002 – 2006
Thomas Reuters Service: New Jersey Super Lawyers 2012
New Jersey Monthly: Top Attorneys 2012
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review BV Rating
Who’s Who American Law Students 1998
- Has the Third Circuit Effectively Eliminated the Original Source Exception to the Federal False Claims Act’s Public Disclosure Bar?, Sobol & Co. Newsletter (Aug. 24, 2015).
- How Group Paid and Pharmacy Benefit Data Can Address Wasteful and Abusive Healthcare Practices, Sobol & Co. Newsletter (Sept. 19, 2014).
- An Anatomy of a False Claims Act Case . Sobol & Co. Newsletter (March 15, 2013)
- Detecting Waste And Abuse In Health Care Spending, Law360, NY (Aug. 3, 2011) (pdf).
- Cut Healthcare Abuse by Stepping Up Review of Paid Claims, Pharmacy Data, N.J. Law J. Vol. 204 No. 11 (June 13, 2011) (pdf).
- Under the False Claims Act’s Public Disclosure Bar, Does the Nature of Documents Matter? 5 ABA Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases 38 (2011) (pdf).
- The Need for Health Care Paid Claims and Pharmacy Benefits Audits: What You Don’t Know May Hurt You, 65 Employee Benefit Plan Rev. 5 (2010) (pdf).
- Revisiting the Public Disclosure Bar and Its Original Source Exception, 43 False Cl. Act and Qui Tam Q. Rev. 111 (2006).
- The Public Disclosure Bar and the Original Source Exception, 40 False Cl. Act and Qui Tam Q. Rev. 12 (2006).
- The International Court of Justice: Effectively Providing a Long Overdue Remedy for Ending State Sponsored Genocide, 12 Am. U. J. Int’l L. & Pol’y 299 (1997).
Selected Speaking Engagements
American Society for Law Medicine and Ethics, Newark, New Jersey 2010.
International Claims Association, Orlando, Florida 2012.
Sobol & Co. Litigator’s Roundtable, Livingston, New Jersey 2013.
Taxpayer’s Against Fraud Education Fund, Annual Conference, Washington D.C. 2005, 2006, 2012.